You are going to depart in August or September 2022, immerse yourself in a foreign language environment for 10 months, live with a local host family and study at a local secondary school. Suitable for students aged 15-18.5 years old.
A life-changing year!
Equip yourself for entering university
- Become proactive in learning and fluent in English, improve academic performance
- Discover your interest and goal, become proactive in exploring future path
- Become good at expressing yourself, gain a unique learning experience
- Experience study abroad life before applying for overseas school
AFS program participants often come from different backgrounds. But apart from different universities in Hong Kong, in the past many AFS returnees studied abroad in famous overseas universities such as Cornell University, UCL, UC Berkeley, University of Toronto, The Australian National University, etc
Germany Returnee (Graduated from Cornell University)
‘The entry interview to Li Po Chun United World College of Hong Kong was my first interview in life, but interestingly I did not feel shy or nervous. It is because I just came back from Germany at that time and were very used to talking to strangers or sharing personal stories and thoughts!’
Prepare for an uncertain future
- Live with people from different countries, enhance intercultural communication skills
- Step out of your comfort zone, become independent, mature, confident and sociable
- Try integrating to a new culture, learn how to adapt to new environment
- Immerse in a foreign culture, learn a new language and develop global competence
According to the AFS global alumni survey with 10,500 participants, most of the returnees agree that their year exchange experience improved their communication (90%), adaptation (84%) and problem solving skills (80%)
‘My year exchange experience changed my personality and equipped me with global competence. Now I feel like I am more mature, outgoing and proactive than other local students at the same age, which is a great advantage for me in getting along with others.’
Join a Webinar
AFS staff regularly hosts seminars to introduce the program details and answer all your questions, where our AFS returnees will join to share their exchange experience!
For the convenience of participants, we are going to host our seminars in form of webinar. To participate, simply click the button to fill in the registration form, then you will receive a confirmation email with your unique join link. When the time comes just join the webinar by simply clicking the link. No software is needed!
- 29 May 2021 (Sat) 12-1 pm
4 Steps to Become an Exchange Student
Submit Application Form
When application opens, submit (1) Application form, (2) Copy of academic reports of the past 3 years, (3) Non-refundable application fee
Join a selection day and let us know whether you are suitable for the program. Selected students may proceed to Stage 3
Join an information night and follow the instruction to finish the online application, which involves a home visit arranged by our volunteers
Prepare to Depart
After confirming by the host country, you could apply for the visa, then join the Pre-Departure Orientation Camp