Generously funded by the Chater Masonic Scholarship Fund, AFS has been providing up to full scholarships to students with financial needs since 2019, allowing them to join AFS Year Exchange Program – A life-changing experience.
About the Fund
The Chater Masonic Scholarship Fund Trust was established in 1929 after Sir Catchick Paul Chater (1846-1926) ’s death to honor his contributions to Freemasonry and charities in Hong Kong.
Sir Paul Chater was born in Calcutta and later moved to Hong Kong. Arriving in 1864, he started a job at the Bank of Hindustan but resigned after two years to start a gold bullion exchange brokerage. In 1868, he formed another brokerage company, Chater & Mody. Later he established The Hongkong Land company, Hong Kong Electric, The Peak Tram, The Star Ferry and the Hong Kong Tramway and helped to create the world city it is today. He was knighted in 1902. Chater Garden, Chater House, Chater Road, and Catchick Street were named after him.
Sir Paul Chater became a Freemason in 1873. Being a Freemason and himself being orphaned at an early age, he recognized the importance of education and practicing two of the three principles of Freemasonry, brotherly love and relief. During his life, he was always ready to help charities when approached.
- Applicant should first apply and be selected for AFS Year Exchange Program
- Applicant should be a Hong Kong student aged 15-18.5
- Applicant should be physically and mentally healthy
- Applicant should be academically sound
- Applicant should be genuinely interested in intercultural learning
- Applicant should be a recipient of Comprehensive Social Security Assistance (CSSA) or School Textbook Assistance (TA) or Working Family Allowance (WFA)
Please click here to learn about the application procedure, prepare all necessary documents first and apply on or before 17 December 2023 (Sun). Eligible applicants will be invited to join an AFS Selection Day in 2023 (Date to be updated).