Subscribe to our NewsletterSubscribe Now!
Free Information Seminar
Learn why you should go aboard on an exchange and how to become a host family to an exchange student:
17 Aug 2019 (Sat), 10:00am – 11:30am
7 Sep 2019 (Sat), 11:00am – 12:30pm
19 Sep 2019 (Thu), 7:00pm – 8:00pm
Remarks: Information Seminars are held at AFS Office in Wan Chai, unless otherwise indicated by asterisk *, which are held in various districts.
AFS Japan is going to implement the ASIA KAKEHASHI Project in collaboration with AFS Partner organizations and NGOs in Asia from 2018 to 2022. For the 2019 Kakehashi program, AFS is identifying and selecting scholarship recipients from 20 Asian countries including Hong Kong. If you are interested in the opportunity to live in Japan for 10 months, please check out the details and application methods below:
Duration: August 2019 – March 2020
Content: Japanese high school experiences with dormitory-stay or homestay
Fees: Sponsored by the Japanese Government*
*Expenses not covered by the scholarship include, but are not limited, to:
- Vaccinations, immunizations, and other disease-preventing medications (i.e. malaria)
- Travel expenses to the regional consulate to obtain a visa
- Additional spending money
- Checked luggage fees
Support: AFS Japan is responsible for the support of participants during the program in Japan, and the AFS Partner organizations/NGOs in the sending country/region are responsible for the pre-program support under the AFS policies and guidelines.
To be eligible for a 2019 ASIA KAKEHASHI scholarship, candidates must:
- be between 15 and 17 years of age, born after April 2, 2001 and before April 1, 2004;
- have the academic reports of the past 3 years;
- have good academic records, be in the top quartile in the class;
- be a Japanese language learner and willing to learn the language and the culture of Japan;
- demonstrate strong potential of leadership to act as a bridge between the sending country/region and Japan during and after the program; and
- not have participated in the ASIA KAKEHASHI program before.
- Priority will be given to students of families with low incomes.
Submit completed application form with the following documents to AFS by mail or in person
- Academic reports of the past three years (copy)
- A recent ID photo
- Application fee of HK$200
- cheaque payable to AFS Intercultural Exchanges Limited, by mail; or
- by cash in person
- the fee is non-refundable
Application deadline: 1 April 2019
Source of information : Consulate-General of Japan in Hong Kong